Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 07:59:37 EST

    At 04:30 -0800 2003-12-23, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >As the subject line here is still about Aramaic, I shall remind you
    >all that that script is a good example of a script which has been
    >roadmapped for the BMP as a misunderstanding.

    I am aware that this is your opinion, Peter.

    >If there is such a script at all distinct from the Hebrew script, it
    >is one which died out, and was replaced by other encoded or
    >roadmapped scripts, more than 2000 years ago.

    Just for the sake of argument, and not with particular reference to
    the scripts currently under discussion, it is acceptable to us to
    encode extinct scripts even when some scholars prefer to use
    something else. Gothic is one such example.

    >So this is a case where the original decisions of the Roadmap
    >Committee need reviewing.

    You have stated this already.

    >That decision was based on N2311 which, as James points out, notes
    >twice that "Further research is required".

    Gosh. And I'm the one who wrote that. Isn't that something?

    >The UTC should make sure that such research has been done properly,
    >and not allow provisional decisions taken on the basis of incomplete
    >research to become standardised by default.

    Don't be ridiculous. Nothing gets standardized by default.

    Thank you for your input. Your input has been noted. Will you please
    give it a rest now? The matter will be reviewed in due course.