Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 11:50:06 EST

    On 23/12/2003 06:06, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 17:41 -0800 2003-12-22, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    >> If there is, however, some consensus that Samaritan and Manichaen
    >> *do* deserve separate encoding consideration, how about pursuing the
    >> furthering of encoding proposals for those as distinct scripts and
    >> then come back around later to review the ancient forms once again
    >> after some more of the pieces have fallen into place?
    >

    > Oh, Manichaean is certainly going to be encoded. The German scholars I
    > met with in Prague last year have been extremely helpful in

    I have not questioned Manichaean. But I do wonder if someone has
    confused it with Mandaic. It is the latter which is a form of Aramaic,
    in both language and script, and is in modern use by a small community,
    which justifies its appearance on the BMP. The Manichaean script is also
    derived from the early Semitic but the language it is used for is not
    Semitic.

    > Regarding Samaritan, there is a group of modern users certainly. This
    > page http://www.orindalodge.org/kadoshsamaritan.php has a number of
    > interesting links on it. Masonic scholars apparently differentiate
    > between Hebrew and Samaritan.

    Again, I have not questioned Samaritan. But this Masonic use seems to be
    as a cipher; note that they write: "That means that you can represent
    any *unpointed and unaccented* Hebrew in Samaritan type just by changing
    the font." This should not be confused with the use of Samaritan script
    by the continuing Samaritan community (of 654 people as of January 1st
    2003, see http://thesamaritanupdate.com/). I note the following which is
    written by the Samaritan community itself, at
    http://www.the-samaritans.com/script.htm:

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)