Re: [hebrew] Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 07:00:00 EST

    & Doug Ewell wrote:

    > I think there was something in there about fundamental
    > identity of the characters as well.

    Yes. I stand corrected.

    BTW are the classical written languages of China & Japan more or less the
    same??

    I understand that e.g. the Chinese Buddhist canon is alsoread by Japanese
    Buddhists
    without translation - so is it correct to assume that there was (/is?) more or
    less a
    common written language (at least for that kind of material) while the spoken
    languages were different?

    - Chris