RE: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 09:54:25 EST

    At 11:50 +0100 2003-12-24, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >John Jenkins wrote:
    > > No, it was not. Han would have been unified even if there had been
    > > space not to do so.
    >
    >I fully agree. Unicode would have been updated later to support
    >surrogates if CJK had been extended so much that it could no more
    >fit the full CJK set.

    This has nothing to do with what John said.

    >ISO10646 could have followed a distinct path where each language
    >could have been encoded separately, but the choice to encode only
    >scripts has greatly reduced the needs for more planes, which was
    >reasonnable to project when you saw the explosion of encodings that
    >were soon to exceed the capabilities of ISO2022 and similar 8-bit
    >code repertoires).

    This is, I am sorry to say, a completely unwarranted assumption. No
    one EVER suggested "encoding each language separately" in ISO/IEC
    10646 [sic]. This is but the latest of Philippe's pronouncements,
    presented as though he were an expert who had been following the
    Unicode project from the beginning. Unfortunately, it is as wrong as
    it is unsubstantiated.

    Note to the historians of Unicode reading these archives: Caveat lector.

    Note to Philippe: Over the past six months, you have written as
    though you were expert in all things Unicode; it is clear
    nevertheless that you are not, not yet, and that you have much to
    learn. You need to go and do the work of learning it. Doug Ewell did
    this, and went from being an amateur to a valued member of our team.
    Currently, I can't count the number of times that you have come out
    with "authoritative" pronouncements which had no basis in fact, and
    your credibility is nearing zero.

    (That advice, Philippe, is a Christmas present for you. Please do not
    respond with a lengthy explanation. And please do not send me a
    private message about it. If you do, I promise I will blacklist you,
    as I know at least one other has.)

    (Of course I am sure I have my own detractors reading this list, to
    whom I will look to some like Michael Curmudgeon McKnowitall Everson
    by saying this out loud, as opposed to sniggering quietly in offlist
    mail, but sometimes that's just my lot.)