[OT] Size of Latin Capitals (was Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval)

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 10:10:40 EST

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>

    > Patrick Andries <Patrick dot Andries at xcential dot com> wrote:
    >
    > >> And this grid doesn't even particularly fit the characters.
    > >> Two big rules of Latin typography are that the capital
    > >> letters are all of the same size (visually, at least)
    > >
    > > Is this true for accented capitals or only for "English" letters?
    > >
    > > AÀÜUÇGJQO…
    > >
    > > Did I yet again read too fast?
    >
    > Maybe. Think "base letter," not "letter with combining diacritics."

    Well, I think this is better said by the writer then implicitly thought by
    the reader ;-)

    > Also bear in mind that capital J and Q have no descender in some fonts.

    A minority, I would think, for Q and this right from lapidary capitals and
    there are also some capital P and Y that extend below the baseline (Fraktur
    for instance, unless this is not Latin). But okay, this is not a Unicode
    issue but a font design issue.

    P. A.