Re: [hebrew] Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script (was Re: why Aramaic now)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 21:38:10 EST

    At 06:57 AM 12/26/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    >Every historian of writing describes the various scripts *as* scripts, and
    >recognizes them differently. We have bilinguals where people are
    >distinguishing the scripts in text; we have discussion, for instance in
    >the Babylonian Talmud, specifically discussing the different writing
    >systems as different. These scripts share a basic structure, sure. But
    >Phoenician a glyph variant of Square Hebrew? Certainly not.

    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Phoenician is a glyph variant of
    Square Hebrew, but rather that both might be considered variants of a
    single early Semitic script. I'm not expert enough to take a position on
    this, but I think we should try to be clear about what is actually being
    suggested.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_