Re: [hebrew] Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 13:36:59 EST

    Michael Everson scripsit:

    > I remain convinced, however, that suggestion
    > that Phoenician be unified with Hebrew and Phoenician is ridiculous
    > in the extreme, and I will oppose it absolutely. Likewise, it is
    > clear that Samaritan is also not to be unified with Hebrew.

    There's clearly a slip here: the second occurrence of "Phoenician" must
    mean something else, and I can't figure out what. However, it is not
    so clear to me that Phoenician and palaeo-Hebrew (and a fortiori
    Samaritan) should not be unified.

    --
    John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com
    "But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.