Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 18:13:41 EST

    On 26/12/2003 17:28, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

    >My own unscientific gut instinct is to be sympathetic to encoding "dead"
    >ancient scripts separately even when they are related since valuable historic
    >information may be conveyed simply by the fact a manuscript is written in one
    >script or another. That information, which granted may be of more importance
    >to palaeographers and epigraphers than to philologists, is no longer so
    >apparent when that document is encoded in another script.

    That information can be encoded far more compactly in a single character
    or markup item. Anyway, palaeographers and epigraphers are likely to
    need to work with images, not plain text or even marked up text. For
    philologists, and for general readers, unifying the scripts is much more
    convenient. And "general readers" is not a joke, most epigraphic NW
    Semitic could be read easily by the Hebrew speaking general public if
    presented with modern glyph shapes.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)