Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 20:23:09 EST

    On 28/12/2003 16:38, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >John Delacour <JD at BD8 dot COM> wrote:
    >

    >>English practice was generally, I think, to write the long s first
    >>but _printed_ double s is always two tall longs, certainly in the
    >>18th century:
    >>

    >I thought English practice was to write all s's long except at the end
    >of a word, as opposed to the German practice of writing all s's long
    >except at the end of a syllable (and composing ſ + s = ß as necessary).
    >
    >Compare these to the Greek distinction between σ and "word-final" ς. I
    >would have assumed that current Greek usage of σ and ς is parallel to
    >18th-century English usage of ſ and s, but TUS says (p. 176) that "use
    >of the final sigma is a matter of spelling convention," so that
    >assumption is probably overly simplistic.

    Greek New Testaments and corresponding grammars printed in the 20th
    century use the final form ς only word finally, but I have a 19th
    century grammar which uses this final form at the end of prefixes ending
    in sigma like pros- and eis- - but a 19th century dictionary which
    doesn't do this.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)