Re: [hebrew] Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script (was Re: why Aramaic now)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 11:42:22 EST

    At 07:39 AM 12/29/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    >>I also think that your attitude is that of a Hellenist or
    >>Indo-Europeanist, who looks at everything from the perspective of Athens.
    >
    >Think what you like.
    >
    >>Semitics is "Praeparatio Hellenika"--its other aspects are less
    >>important, and
    >>hence not to be emphasized in computerization or anything else.
    >
    >I cannot make sense of this at all.
    >
    >>Not all roads lead to Athens, Michael Everson--some of them go elsewhere
    >
    >What the bejeesus are you on about, Elaine?

    Without needing to accuse Michael of being a Hellenist to the detriment of
    Semitic scripts, I think Elaine raises a potentially valid point about the
    many books to which he refers. I too have read many texts that trace the
    alphabet to the Phoenicians and stop there, because that is the limit of
    the author's knowledge and interest (a knowledge and interest defined by
    other books which repeat the same information).

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_