Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 13:04:54 EST

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > We have:
    > 02A7;LATIN SMALL LETTER TESH DIGRAPH;Ll;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN SMALL LETTER T
    > ESH;;;;
    > but no canonical or compatibility decomposition as t + esh, even though it
    > is a clear ligature using the short-leg esh.

    Since tesh does not mean the same thing as t followed by esh, a
    decomposition would be inappropriate.

    > Finally, it seems that these two:
    > 021C;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER YOGH;Lu;0;L;;;;;N;;;;021D;
    > 021D;LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH;Ll;0;L;;;;;N;;;021C;;021C
    > are variants of
    > 01B7;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EZH;Lu;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER YOGH;;;0292;
    > 0292;LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH;Ll;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH;;01B7;;01B7
    > and I wonder how these YOGH differ from EZH, or if the Unicode 1.0 name of
    > EZH was misleading...

    In Unicode 1.0 they were unified as YOGH, later changed to EZH as part
    of the 10646 merger. Later they were disunified: see
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/wynnyogh/ezhyogh.html for details.
    In short, EZH is always flat-topped, is part of IPA (from Pitman),
    and conveys sounds related to z. YOGH is typically round-topped but
    sometimes flat-topped, is not part of IPA, and conveys sounds related to g.

    --
    John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com
    Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out.  He wasn't home.