Re: Mathematical exist and forall in Unicode

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 09:26:11 EST

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Mirek" <midge@wp.pl>

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am not sure if it is the proper place to discuss the case if missing
    > characters, but haven't found better place.
    >
    > I tried to find out two characters in unicode and encountered the
    > following problem. There are two characters for logical EXISTS and FOR
    > ALL signs.
    > There exists "old notation" that is in unicode (exist =
    > mirrored E, for all = inverted A)

    U+2200
    U+2203

    >and yet new notation (exist = the character similar to logical OR
    OPERATOR but bigger, and for all =
    > similar to logical AND OPERATOR, but bigger).

    You mean similar to U+22C0 and U+22C1 ?

    Do you have any reference as to the modernity of this V-like notation ?

    May I add that, at first sight, I find this a very strange idea since
    well-known and distinct signs would have been replaced by signs dangerously
    close to other well-known ones.

    > IMHO it's strange that unicode does not cover both types of notations, or
    maybe I missed something.

    I don't know, but how about considering them as glyph variants ?

    P. A.