Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 22:19:30 EST

    On 12/28/03 20:40, John Cowan wrote:

    >Similar statements can be made about Hebrew final consonants (in
    >particular, Yiddish uses a non-final p for -p, since final p means -f).

    An interesting side-note: at my parents' house a few weeks ago, I found
    and flipped through an old Yiddish book. It had several oddities of
    script: although it used Yiddish vowel-letters, it also had Hebrew
    vowel-points. So a consonant followed by `ayin (used for /E/), also had
    a Hebrew /E/-vowel under it, etc. And it consistently failed to use
    final nun. At least, in the word "un" ("and") which is common enough;
    always a bent nun.

    (The particular dialect apparently also pronounced "iz" as /uz/, since
    that's how they wrote it)

    ~mark