Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 13:12:52 EST

    Adam Twardoch scripsit:

    > Even today, some (rather few) users of German prefer to use the "sz"
    > compatibility decomposition rather than "ss" since it's far less ambiguous.
    > It's a minority practice, but I have seen this. "sz" does not occur in
    > normal German, while "ss" has orthographic differences from "ß". I have seen
    > compatiblity spellings (in e-mails) such as "Grusz" instead of "Gruss" when
    > "ß" was missing ("Gruß" is the correct spelling).

    Indeed, this is how I was taught to type German on an American typewriter,
    transcribing every handwritten ess-zed as "sz", as indeed the name
    indicates. I never learned the name "scharfes ess" until much later.

    --
    BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        jcowan@reutershealth.com
    BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan