Re: Panther PUA behavior

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 18:29:27 EST

    > Might it not seem rather sensible of them to use the (SIL PUA) codes
    > F20E and F20F, generated by their keyboards and displayed with their
    > fonts?

    In the computing world, there's always a trade-off between expressiveness
    and flexibility. They might not find it so sensible if they have
    to access their data anywhere else or have anyone else access their
    data.

    In any case, the vast majority of people working with cuniform would use
    a transliteration, likely even written on their paper files. To use real
    cuniform is a "because-I-can" thing, which I am not personally insensible,
    but doesn't get the highest priority bug fixes.

    > You may not think what Dean
    > and his colleagues were doing was very sensible, but it obviously made
    > sense to them, so what was the point of banning it?

    The point of banning it, if I understand it right, was that the old way
    didn't work right when viewing PUA data under all circumstances, and
    the only way was, as Dean put it, to uninstall fonts and rearrange
    codepoints. To enable the functionality in text editors, they had an
    unexpected side-effect of breaking PUA characters in file names. Which
    way to go is obvious to me.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm