Re: Pan-Sahelian keyboard project (French layout)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 18:02:05 EST

    Philippe, I have taken the liberty of adding this to the collection of
    diverse African language keyboard projects at
    http://www.bisharat.net/A12N/Projects/ .

    One of the things I've been interested to promote is getting a clearer idea
    of what the character needs are where and for what uses (via the A12n page &
    A12n-collaboration). It does appear that the Unicode repertoire currently
    covers most language needs. Manageable keyboard layouts may necessitate
    limiting range of coverage to several countries (and the languages within
    them) or a subregion. The Sahel, in my opinion, offers a relatively simpler
    subset of issues to start addressing (tone markings in the tonal languages
    of the region are generally not needed in most circumstances).

    The issues of combinations for diacritics and tones present some
    complications for some languages, but here too it is best to analyze the
    issues looking at specific languages. For instance some languages of
    southern Nigeria, notably Igbo and Yoruba, with dot-under characters and
    greater importance of marking tone, pose some complications (some of these
    have been explored on the Igbo and Yoruba boards -
    http://www.quicktopic.com/17/H/tCcDxVXHgQxN and
    http://www.quicktopic.com/15/H/KKgbRqJUAR8 , respectively).

    These are just some too quick comments (I'm running up against various
    deadlines).

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net