Re: Tajik alphabet code

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 16:19:04 EST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > I understand that there have been previous attempts to define a new or
    > extended Cyrillic 8-but character set supporting Central Asian
    > languages, but that such proposals have been rejected. I hardly think
    > that Aso would have turned to the Unicode list if he wanted to define an
    > 8-bit encoding.

    I understand that it has been rejected for inclusion in an international
    standard, but still this does not forbid Tadjikistan to define its own national
    8-bit standard for writing Tajik in Cyrillic... In the hope that this standard
    would promote the support for the characters (missing in the Cyrillic version of
    ISO-8859) and initiate the commercial support of appropriate keyboards and
    softwares for this Tajik variant.

    If Tajikistan defines this standard, it will get its right of entry into the
    IANA database of charsets, and Unicode will have to support a complete mapping
    for it (if characters are missing), whever it likes it or not, and even if this
    standard is not accepted in a chapter of the ISO 8859 international standard...

    There's no contradiction here: Tajikistan has the right to define what are its
    own needs for its own official language; going to an international standard can
    come later, once Tajikistan has proven that it helped promote the correct
    support of its language by various software and hardware solutions (keyboards,
    fonts, sorting and collating in relational databases, transcoders, filesystem
    file names, various communication tools including low-cost ones with limited
    processing resources like mobile phones and SMS messaging...).