Irish dotless i

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 14:33:31 EST

    Perhaps an anecdote about typesetting Irish text
    with taste is in order. When I typeset Nicholas
    Williams' wonderful Irish translation of Alice's
    Adventures in Wonderland I had occasion to use
    some fancy Roman fonts for the chapter headings.
    One of these, Mona Lisa Recut, has a tall and
    pointy dot on the lower-case "i", which looks
    particularly bad when in the context of accented
    "í". In setting the Irish titles, I substituted
    the dotless "ž" for it -- and in doing so, I
    rendered the text unsuitable for spell-checking
    or text searching, because dotless "ž" is not a
    letter used in Irish orthography. A picture of
    the cover is at
    http://www.evertype.com/gram/eilis-cover.jpg and
    information on the book in general is at
    http://www.evertype.com/gram/eachtrai-eilise.html