Re: Irish undotted i

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 14:21:42 EST

    At 12:49 -0600 2004-03-19, Unspecified wrote:

    >In Irish writing that uses the dot-convention,
    >the dot represents lenition. Vowel phonemes are
    >not liable to lenition, so it doesn't make any
    >sense to have a dotted i, any more than a dotted
    >a, e, o, or u.

    When you write Irish in an orthography where you
    put a dot on a consonant to show lenition, in the
    coded text there are two characters: the
    consonant, and COMBINING DOT ABOVE.

    When you write Irish in an orthography where you
    put an accent on a vowel to show length, in the
    coded text there are two characters: the vowel,
    and COMBINING ACUTE.

    The dot on the "i" in Roman fonts is NEVER, EVER,
    represented by Turkish ž with COMBINING DOT ABOVE.

    The acute acent on the "í" in Roman or Gaelic
    fonts is NEVER, EVER, represented by Turkish ž
    with COMBINING ACUTE.