Re: Irish dotless I

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 15:21:54 EST

    Ar 19/03/2004 11:46, scríoḃ Marion Gunn (is that correct Irish old
    orthography?):

    >>... If there were text processing
    >>resources
    >>available for the Gaelic script, this could change.
    >>

    >I have to agree with the above paragraph of Brian's.

    Well, any Unicode-compatible word processor, e-mailer etc should be able
    to use the old Irish Gaelic orthography, with letters like U+1E03 which
    I used above. So this can change now.

    >Scríobh Peter Kirk <peter@qaya.org>:
    >

    >>May I pick a nit here? Dotless i is used in the official orthography of
    >>at least one non-Turkic language, that of Udi, a north-east Caucasian
    >>minority language of Azerbaijan; I think it is also in the Latin script
    >>orthography of Lezgi, the language of a much larger minority group.
    >>

    >That is good news, if it equates to good news for Irish. Do you think it
    >does, Peter? Too many more msgs to wade through, which ain't necessarily
    >true.:-)

    I don't think it affects Irish, unless you want to be dotless Marıon ın
    Irısh even when usıng a non-Gaelıc font. The consensus on the list seems
    to be that Irish should be written with a normal i character and the dot
    removed in particular fonts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)