Re: vertical direction control

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 20:23:47 EST

    At 06:09 PM 3/23/2004, Thomas Kuehne wrote:
    >Am Mittwoch 24 März 2004 00:09 schrieb Asmus Freytag:
    > > >Is somebody already using a PUA assignment for vertical text
    > > > direction controls?
    >
    > > I think the idea was that these don't belong in plain text.
    > > Markup languages have had vertical layout controls forever.
    >
    >The problem arose at very resource limited devices, thus no HTML nor
    >RTF etc.. In fact there is no higher level protocol other than plain
    >strings/text.

    I don't think I know of a scenario where it is crtical for a resource
    limited device to display the kinds of texts you list below.

    For CJK, use of horizontal text is common for resource limited
    devices such as LED or small LCD panel displays, or, for that
    matter, most computer interfaces (as opposed to formatted documents
    on a computer).

    >While crawling through the Pango and SilGraphite rendering engines I
    >noticed that they provide(or are planning to) an interface for
    >vertical text.
    >For CJK, old European in-scripts and especially Egyptian hieroglyphs
    >it would be good to have a common control set - otherwise plain text
    >can't be used for data exchange.
    >
    >Thomas Kuehne

    A./