Re: C-sharp

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 13:29:14 EST

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    > Stuart is absolutely right. "Enharmonics" like C♯ and D♭ may share the
    > same "glyph" (outward appearance, sound)

    I was told it was not true for some musical instruments like violin where sounds
    are modulated around a median tone, and for which a excercized hear can make the
    distinction between the two musical tones played by a good musician (because the
    violin allows effects that are not based on exact harmonics, that a musical
    partition cannot simply denote only with a simple position and a sign on the
    partition grid).

    So a tremolo played on C♯ will sound differently than the tremolo played on D♭,
    notably if the note is played on several chords, or the chord is pushed by the
    finger on the hamp of the instrument (on guitars) or the finger slides on the
    hamp of the violin.

    Also there are traditions in the way notes are named, depending on the main
    musical key of the partition which "drives" the tonality of a whole musical
    sentence. So C♯ and D♭ are used in distinct keys and harmonies. This tradition
    of naming musical tones according to the key harmony is very strong in classical
    music.

    Other instruments are also concerned, notably the big and beautiful harmonic
    organs in chrurches, and even the modern electronic organs that allow lots of
    effects, even though each organ pipe or bell can play only one "note" (in fact
    they play a very rich range of harmonics and subharmonics).