Re: vertical direction control

From: Benjamin Peterson (ben@jbrowse.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 14:33:44 EST

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:09:11 +0000, "Michael Everson"
    <everson@evertype.com> said:
    > At 14:49 +0100 2004-03-24, Chris Jacobs wrote:
    > > > It seems strangely inconsistent to me that Unicode has detailed controls
    > >> for horizontal layout direction and the complex bidi algorithm, but has
    > >> nothing for vertical layout. I can force Latin text to be rendered right
    > >> to left or Hebrew left to right (although such overrides are hardly
    > >> plain text issues), but there is no way I can select vertical layout
    > >> even for languages in which that is a normal way of writing. We already
    > >> have U+202A LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING and U+202B RIGHT-TO-LEFT EMBEDDING.
    > >> It would be easy to define new characters TOP-TO-BOTTOM EMBEDDING and
    > >> BOTTOM-TO-TOP EMBEDDING, with similar scope until the next PDF
    > >> character.
    > >
    > >Which scripts are written bottom to top in vertical layout?
    >
    > Ogham and sometimes Tifinagh.

    <worthless trivia>

    Also Numidian (if you count it seperate from Tifinagh), and various
    scripts from the Philippines: Tagalog (and its relatives) and Mangyan.
    The surviving Mangyan users seem to write it left to right when using
    paper, though.

    <end of worthless trivia>

    --
      Benjamin Peterson