RE: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 19:13:28 EST

    > From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk@qaya.org]

    > Peter, I notice that you have found time while looking at this thread
    to criticise
    > Philippe's ramblings and speculate about his identity.

    Yes, he and I have having fun offline debating his identity :-)

    > Perhaps
    > you can use some of your time more profitably

    Hmmm... I perceive you don't approve of how I've been using my time.
    You're right: I should spend less time replying on this list and more
    time on the projects in my yearly objectives ;-)

    > in answering the questions
    > about Uniscribe and its treatment of sequences like <space, diacritic>
    > and <NBSP, diacritic>...

    I have been corresponding with the original inquirer offline to find out
    more precisely what the issues and requirements of the users he's
    representing are. It's more of a priority for me to discover that than
    to discuss details regarding Uniscribe behaviour I don't actually know
    about for certain (and that I can't change in the immediate future).

    > Are these dependent on the font, as some have
    > suggested, or are they prescribed by Uniscribe? Do different versions
    of
    > Uniscribe differ in this respect, as I rather think?

    At present, I don't know the answer. I know this is something we have
    intended to support, but I don't get that behaviour on the particular
    system I'm using at the moment. I will keep it in mind as an issue to
    review in the next version of our Indic shaping engine.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division