RE: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 05:58:50 EST

    Hi James, List members,

    James Kass wrote:
    > U+0B82 TAMIL SIGN ANUSVARA is substituted and re-positioned in the
    > compound
    > glyphs of Code2000 for the normal dotted circle in the default glyphs for
    > U+0BCA, U+0BCB, and U+0BCC.
    >
    > This is only expected to appear with a rendering system which does not
    > support
    > OpenType. This is because the default glyphs for these "surroundrant"
    > vowel signs
    > would never be drawn on the screen. [...]

    I see. Thinking once more about it, also in the special contexts, where
    there is a desire
    to get a rendering of vowel signs without the dotted circle, U+0BCA, U+0BCB,
    and U+0BCC
    wouldn't be called for, but their components U+0BC6, U+0BC7, U+0BBE and
    U+0BD7.

    > So, if the question is how to make an OpenType font *not* display the
    > dotted
    > circle on Windows with Uniscribe, one idea would be to add a spacing glyph
    > U+25CC (DOTTED CIRCLE) in the font. This spacing glyph should be a
    > no-contour
    > glyph, perhaps with the same advance width as U+0020. I've not tried
    > this,
    > but it might just work.

    The hard part (I assume), is not only to avoid the dotted circle, but make
    the
    glyps behave like normal spacing characters, so that e.g. when one of them
    is surrounded
    by parentheses, no extra or missing spacing is be seen.

    So U+0BC0, U+0BC1 and U+0BC2 should acquire the width of SPACE,
    wheras the other vowel signs should use their glyph's width.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi