Re: What is the principle?

From: Marion Gunn (
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 17:31:21 EST

  • Next message: Arcane Jill: "Re: [OT] proscribed words... (was:What is the principle?)"

    Yes. I can verify that (the Irish word for it is 'cuairín', which can only
    mean something softly curved).

    Scríobh Séamas Ó Brógáin:
    >John Cowan wrote:
    >> That reminds me. The name of the circumflex accent is obviously
    >> derived from Greek, but its form is not. Is it in fact the degenerate
    >> descendant of the letter "s", does anybody know?
    >No. When accent marks (probably in fact tone marks) were first applied
    >(retrospectively) to Classical Greek the circumflex accent was
    >curved---exactly like an upside-down breve, in fact. Hence the name, or
    >so I have always assumed. You can see this form in some older fonts. It
    >has also been made identical to the tilde, but I'm pretty certain the
    >upside-down-breve is the original form.
    >Séamas Ó Brógáin

    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
    27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
    Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
    * * *

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sun Mar 28 2004 - 22:28:59 EST