Re: What is the principle?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 06:48:44 EST

    On 30/03/2004 17:32, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 17:02 -0800 2004-03-30, Mike Ayers wrote:
    >
    >> I feel obligated to take this one step further - these folks are
    >> forgetting that "P" stands for "private". Their use of this space is
    >> their own problem, in all senses. It does not seem reasonable to me
    >> that *any* standard behavior could be expected of PUA code points,
    >> from operating systems or applications, as such may have chosen to,
    >> or may yet choose to, use those code points to encapsulate very
    >> un-font-rendering-like behavior, and such a decision, made past,
    >> present or future, is a perfectly valid private use.
    >

    > Which I assume means: "it's wrong for Unicode to make ANY property
    > pronouncements for ANY PUA characters, since that defines them, and
    > removes the P from the Use."

    This is of course a principle which they have already broken, as they
    have defined "default" properties for all of them. Although in principle
    people can implement non-default properties, no one has, as far as I
    know. The result is that in practice the P has been removed from the PUA
    and it has been restricted to LTR base characters.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)