RE: What is the principle?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 16:13:32 EST

    > No.  The *only* way to maintain compatibility between your applications
    > and the system software is to ensure that your applications only do things
    > that are supported by the system software.

    If what is meant here by "your applications" is any applications running on your system, then that is correct. If it means "applications you have developed," then I'd suggest a revision: whenever your application depends upon system-supplied services, it must do things in the ways expected by those services; if those services don't serve the needs of an application, you must implement that functionality on your own.

    E.g. SIL's Graphite technology can deal with RTL PUA characters, but then it isn't relying on system-supplied services to do complex-script shaping of text.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division