Re: Unicode 4.0.1 Released

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 18:58:40 EST

    Marco Cimarosti scripsit:

    > So far, my understanding was that the normative properties of existing code
    > points where "carved in stone".

    Not all normative properties are immutable. A normative property is
    simply one which you have to get right if you claim conformance to
    that part of Unicode: you cannot make PLUS SIGN a letter. Immutable
    properties are those which Unicode guarantees will never change; they
    are a subset of the normative properties.

    > Won't these fixes break applications out there? I.e., won't they turn
    > previously conformant applications into non conformant ones?

    They will conform to previous versions but not to newer versions.

    --
    BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        jcowan@reutershealth.com
    BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan