Re: New contribution

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 14:12:32 CDT

At 11:28 -0700 2004-05-04, Peter Kirk wrote:

>From my point of view, Michael could have made a better case for a
>unified Phoenician and Samaritan proposal. But I think he intends a
>separate Samaritan proposal. And that I would not oppose, because
>there is an easily demonstrable user community of modern Samaritans.
>Although I would still want assurances that they don't consider
>Samaritan script to be glyph variants of Hebrew script.

One of them supplied a font to us which has Hebrew glyphs with their
Unicode character positions and Samaritan glyphs with
currently-unassigned Unicode character positions and unique Samaritan
names (SHAN not SHIN). Not kosher, of course, and heaven knows what
kinds of display behaviour they managed to get, but they were
certainly making a particular effort.