Re: New contribution

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 17:35:57 CDT

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> I'd be interested in such a building. Anyplace still using Phoenician
> script? Aside from the Samaritans, whose script has evolved some as
> well... Wow.

Yes, "Wow" was exactly my reaction too. I've put some pictures up at
http://www.smontagu.org/PalaeoHebrew/

It's interesting that the inscription uses modern Hebrew spelling
conventions and writes נחושת with a mater lectionis, which it doesn't
have in the Masoretic text of Kings.

The glyphs look to my unexpert eye more like Moabite than Paleo-Hebrew,
but of course it's a work of art rather than a scholarly presentation,
and the sculptor may have chosen them from aesthetic considerations.

Next time I'm there, I'll try asking some random passers-by what they
think the script is. ;-)

Simon