RE: Yoruba Keyboard

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 10:54:41 CDT

> > > Will Microsoft licence [the Doulos SIL font] from SIL to
distribute it
> > > with Windows or Internet Explorer updates?
> > No.
>
> So you can't claim that all users will

I never made such a claim.

> > > Or will Microsoft enhance its core fonts (Arial, Verdana, Tahoma,
> > > Times New Roman, Courier) to include more composition rules in
> > > order to support such standardized language?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Marvelous. Also in current versions of Windows 2000 or XP? Or only for
> Office XP
> users or Windows 2003 and Media Center or some future release of
Windows
> (Longhorn?)

Future versions, yes. Win2K, XP service packs? Don't know.

> > I think you need to check some facts. Five years would be May 1999;
> > GB18030 wasn't published until March 2000.
>
> That's something I can't understand...

I can't provide any explanation for what you might have heard. What I
have seen documented is that GB18030 was published in March 2000.

> Microsoft has certainly been involved in this standardization
process...

You are simply making conjecture. Several people in industry at the time
will tell you that GB18030 caused a lot of scrambling. It definitely was
post Win2K. Neither MS nor any other company outside PRC had advance
warning.

But, again, this has no bearing on support for supplementary-plane
characters.

> Already, GB18030:2000 contained explicit references to other planes of
> Unicode-ISO/IEC 10646.

But no characters.

> and I can't understnad why the largest software company...

I have no intention in attempting to make you understand.

Peter Constable