RE: TR35

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 10:45:48 CDT

    >Here I disagree; this area is very fuzzy. See
    >http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icuhtml/design/language_
    code_issues.html,
    >especially the end.

    During which you observe that "both [language IDs and locale IDs] are
    somewhat nebulous concepts." (Of course, it's not the *IDs* that are
    nebulous, but the types of category that they represent: "language" and
    "locale".)

    I don't have time at the moment for a detailed discussion, (or to finish
    reading what's here and in TR35) but have been meaning to comment on
    this topic in relation to TR35, so will briefly comment here: these
    concepts will remain nebulous until people understand a fundamental
    distinction:

    A "language" is an attribute of content, and a "language" ID is used for
    declaration of that attribute.

    A "locale" is an operational mode of software processes, and a "locale"
    ID is used in APIs to set or determine that mode.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division