Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: saqqara (saqqara@csi.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 10:18:20 CDT

    From: "Kenneth Whistler" Friday, May 21, 2004 12:51 AM
    > If such is the case, then there *is* a need -- the question
    > then just devolves to whether the need is significant enough
    > for the UTC and WG2 to bother with it, and whether even if
    > the need is met by encoding of characters, anyone will actually
    > implement any relevant behavior in software or design fonts
    > for it.

    I hope to treat Phoenician in software and fonts at some point so do feel
    free to add Saqqara to the list of potential developers.

    Because I already work with scripts not yet in Unicode, I'm forced to work
    with PUA, non-standard codings etc. anyway and write software that can cope
    with this. So not totally desperate to see a separate script.

    However if in *Unicode terms* Phoenician counts as a separate script, it
    should be standardised as such whatever the customs and traditions of those
    currently working with the material. That way it can be treated on a level
    playing field with other scripts. As a non-expert it appears to me to be so
    but remain open to the merits of the alternate cases.

    I have previously mentioned here that if others feel unification is the way
    to go, what would be most useful is a document defining what they regard as
    the correct treatment in Unicode of 'Phoenician' texts, with references as
    to how this is currently working among practitioners. Presumably those
    active in the field have some informal standard they work with already to
    enable information exchange. A reasoned document, not snippets of
    argumentative email and people getting hot under the collar please.

    I would also be interested in this from the perspective of my own software
    work where I am amenable to helping work with established transliteration
    schemes and the like, irrespective of the Unicode status of a given script.

    Bob Richmond
    Saqqara Technology