Re: Response to Everson Phoenician and why June 7?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 16:17:59 CDT

    On 26/05/2004 13:13, Peter Constable wrote:

    >So, the question is whether contemporaneous use within a single
    >community suggests that they were viewed as the same or distinct. Either
    >is possible. If they were considered "font" variants, then you might
    >expect to see different documents using one or the other, or see
    >different elements within a single document using one or the other. But
    >if you see documents containing equivalent content repeated in each,
    >then that might well suggest they were viewed as distinct.

    My experience of living for seven years in a country undergoing a
    gradual script transition might be relevant here. In Azerbaijan the
    official script was changed from Cyrillic to Latin in 1991. But, before
    stricter laws were introduced around 2001 that all publications must be
    in Latin script, the majority of publications were in Cyrillic, except
    for those targetted at children who were learning Latin script at
    school. It was also common at one time to see newspapers with headlines
    in Latin and text in Cyrillic, and books with titles in Latin and text
    in Cyrillic. This was done because the publishers wanted to appear to
    support Latin script but also knew that most of their target audience
    was more comfortable reading Cyrillic. Some documents were published
    separately in both scripts, presumably so that they could be easily
    accessible to both adults and children.

    Not much here which could not have taken place in Germany after the
    official abolition of Fraktur. Sorry, we are supposed to have moved away
    from that argument.

    It is hard to say whether the two scripts were and are considered glyph
    variants or separate scripts. Probably more the latter (which is of
    course the Unicode view). But it was well recognised that the two
    scripts could be mapped on to one another one to one. And this was made
    use of in a number of legacy fonts using different encodings, Latin at
    Cyrillic code points and vice versa. It is also recognised that for
    several letters, at least as capitals, there is no distinction between
    the two forms. Indeed I have even seen a written word YEMƏKXAHA "cafe,
    canteen" which shifts from Cyrillic to Latin script in the middle of the
    word; all of the glyphs in this word are valid in both Latin and
    Cyrillic, but Y and H have different meanings in the two scripts, and in
    this word Y must be Latin and H must be Cyrillic.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)