RE: Response to Everson Phoen and why June 7? (Chris Fynn...)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 12:27:53 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Mark E. Shoulson

    > Granted, this is still the "legibility"
    > argument--but not completely, since it's more that he doesn't see them
    > as the same letters.

    Yes, it's more the argument of what are the cultural and conventional
    perceptions of people who would actually use whatever encoded characters
    are provided. We know some Semitic paleographers perceived them as the
    same; we have known that some others here perceive them as different.
    This gives us a clue that there might be many others out there that have
    the latter perception. It's especially interesting, given that this was
    someone whose interests are closely related to those of the Semitic
    paleographers we've heard from.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division