OT: Notice of Change to Unicode mail list posting

From: John D. Burger (john@mitre.org)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 20:48:10 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > The final freebie concerns the practice of copying the author and
    > others when replying to a posting. Many people have indicated that
    > they dislike getting multiple copies, while others have stated that
    > they actually like getting copied.
    > But, I don't really need to get two copies, either. Also, I sometimes
    > forget which people don't want a direct copy.
    >
    > So, maybe some kind of user profile?

    See the bottom of the page Sarasvati indicated:

       http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html

    although what you specifically requested doesn't seem to be an option.

    > Individuals could configure their own preferences in this regard, and
    > this list could then use that information to *NOT* send the list copy
    > to someone who doesn't want two copies when the message already
    > includes that person in the distribution. Does that make any sense?

    Aside from the technical details, non-trivial, I believe, I don't think
    it's appropriate. For a message addressed like this one, the Unicode
    mailing list server can't be sure that my mail server succeeded in
    sending it directly to you, so it's still incumbent on the Unicode
    server to deliver it. IMO.

    - John Burger
       MITRE