Re: Proposal to encode dominoes and other game symbols

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 00:50:53 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    > The key issue for symbols like the dominoes is not whether
    > they derive from pictorial representations of the game
    > tokens themselves (i.e., as pictures of the bones), but
    > rather whether there is a sufficiently established practice
    > of using such pictorial symbols effectively inline as
    > part of text, as opposed to merely in obvious graphics
    > showing entire 2-D layouts of domino positions. My own take
    > is that for some subset of the domino symbols proposed, the
    > evidence from the dominoes texts does pass that test.

    I bet if someone took the trouble to look through enough children's
    literature and driver's testing materials, they could find at least one
    document that uses the STOP SIGN inline in a sentence, and that could be
    cited as sufficient evidence that it should be encoded. Everything I
    thought I knew about encoding symbols is wrong.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/