RE: Revised Phoenician proposal

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 09:35:04 CDT

    > > In that sense, treating Phoenician as a script variant of Hebrew is
    > big
    > > win for many of the users of the script, since they would have a
    hard
    > time
    > > deciphering the bizarre (to them) script variant but have no problem
    > reading
    > > texts originally written in it in different fonts.

    I didn't understand that statement the first time round, and still am
    not sure I understand it. (The antecedent for the last occurrence of
    "it" isn't clear to me, so I'm having difficulty interpreting the whole
    thing, apart from the matter of whether the point makes sense.)
    Consider:

    "Treating Arabic as a script variant of Latin is a big win for many of
    the users of the script, since they would have a hard time deciphering
    the bizarre (to them) script variant but have no problem reading texts
    originally written in it in different fonts."

    The only part of that that is questionable is what is considered a
    script or script variant. But perhaps I really missed the point...

    Peter Constable