RE: [hebrew] Re: Response to a Proposal to Encode Phoenician in Unicode

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 12:55:53 CDT

    [choosing not to cross-post to all three lists]

    > From: hebrew-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:hebrew-bounce@unicode.org] On
    Behalf
    > Of Mark E. Shoulson

    > The Tanaaim pretty clearly did not view this as a matter of
    font-variants.

    In fairness, Unicode does not encode legal judgments any more than it
    does the phonology of any given language. To say that the Tanaaim
    considers two groups of letterforms to be distinct seems to me to be
    comparable to saying that speakers of English distinguish phonemes /k/
    and /s/, and just as we don't use that as an argument to encode both a
    "hard" c and a "soft" c, I don't think we can use a legal distinction as
    an argument for or against distinct encoding.

    On the other hand, to the extent that the legal judgment can be seen as
    a reflection of perceptions of script identity by an entire society,
    that may be relevant.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division