RE: Bantu click letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 06:00:09 CDT

    At 00:30 -0700 2004-06-10, Peter Constable wrote:

    >!! I had not assumed that we would encode symbols attested in single
    >publications.

    I am CERTAIN that we have many characters which were encoded with
    only one citation in the proposal.

    >I know there are several more idiosyncratic phonetic symbols out there;

    As do we all. I err on the side of generosity in encoding.

    >I had not proposed ones I know of before now as I expected they'd be
    >about as well received as the two symbols created by Doke that I
    >proposed last summer: the s and z with swash tail (they were not
    >accepted at that time).

    Heavens, really? The bilabials? Desmond Cole discusses them (and
    shows them) in his article "The History of African Linguistics to
    1945" in Current Trends in Linguistics, Vol. 7, Linguistics in
    Sub-Saharan Africa. In that article it suggests that Doke's use of
    those symbols could have been inspired by Daniel Jones' 1911 pamphlet
    on Chindau (which I have not seen).