Re: Bantu click letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 08:30:12 CDT

    At 09:26 -0400 2004-06-10, John Cowan wrote:

    > [T]he Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic,
    > personal, novel, or private use characters [...].
    >
    >Whatever may have been done in the past, I don't think that one
    >document is enough to support the introduction of new Latin letters;
    >these look extremely idiosyncratic, personal, novel and private use
    >to me.

    They were published in Bantu Studies in 1925 in an article by a
    rather important scholar in the field of African linguistics. Effort
    and expense was made to cut the letters for the publication.

    The sounds they represent are idiosyncratic and difficult to
    describe, much less write. Personal? No: he published. Novel? Perhaps
    (in 1925); Doke is likely to have devised them. Private use? Be
    serious, John. That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion.