RE: Bantu click letters

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 09:59:42 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On
    > Behalf Of Michael Everson

    > You don't know whether or not they were only used in a single
    > document. You know only that I *own* that single document. You are
    > declaring the characters guilty until proved innocent. That's
    > antagonistic.

    Indeed. Didn't everyone have to become a signatory to the Universal
    Declaration of Character Rights before subscribing?

    > Khoisian phonology is rather
    > esoteric, after all.

    Esoteric?? (Do we perhaps need to review the meaning of this word?)

    > > > Private use? Be
    > >> serious, John. That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion.
    > >
    > >I am serious. The PUA is the proper place for these things.
    >
    > I am gobsmacked. On what grounds are these not characters? They are
    > not glyph representations of other characters. The PRE-PALATAL N is
    > described in terms of its phonology as being neither N nor N WITH
    > LEFT HOOK.

    If I publish a web page using DIAGONAL X WITH TURNED HOOK to represent
    something that's not quite this or that cardinal phonetic value, does it
    automatically become a character worthy of encoding?

    This isn't about character rights. It's about criteria for deciding what
    to encode or not to encode.

    Peter Constable