RE: Bantu click letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 14:08:59 CDT

    At 11:53 -0700 2004-06-10, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >>It was understood that the mathematical symbols were not to be used
    >>in language text.
    >
    >What was understood is that if you need a run of text in a script
    >font you wouldn't use these characters, but would use markup. But if
    >you needed an isolated, out of context shape, where the font style
    >has semantic meaning, you would use these characters. That's
    >precisely the case here.

    Not so.

    >There's no need to have yet another clone.

    I disagree. Leave the math characters, please, to the math fonts. For
    instance, the flowery style we use now for the math block is waaaay
    to italic for harmonization with the use of the character in a
    phonetic context. I am also not very happy opening the door to
    splitting Latin characters off into Plane 1.

    I will be perfectly happy to rename the character LATIN LETTER VOICED
    PALATOAVEOLAR CLICK. It doesn't have an upper case property anyway.

    In any case -- and I think this is the precedent I am looking for --
    this is a "script" capital Q in the same way that U+0261 is a script
    g. It is **not** unified with U+210A SCRIPT SMALL G.