Re: Bantu click letters

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 08:39:48 CDT

    -------------- Original message from "Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin" : --------------
    > On 2004.06.10, 17:11, I wrote:
    >
    > > U+0251 U+0361 U+0302 U+028A as given by BabelMap+Code2000 (see
    > > attached) is not productively different from U+0251
    > > U+0302 U+0361 U+028A (see attached)...
    >
    > Now attached. (Both GIFs are identical, byte by byte, though I swear
    > I made them separately: click the characters in BabelMap, PrtScr,
    > paste into PhotoShop, crop, resample, save!)

    You're getting default positioning only, it looks like your system
    doesn't support OpenType combining diacritic positioning for Latin.

    Even with OpenType experimental support here, my display looks like
    the GIF you sent. I'll try fixing this, now that I know there is a
    problem. But, the fix probably won't work on your system because
    OpenType Latin positioning support is needed.

    Attached is a GIF showing U+0251 U+0361 U+0302 U+028A as it appears
    in BabelPad with Doulos SIL. The Doulos font puts the combining
    double wide mark higher, and then the combining circumflex doesn't
    overstrike it.

    Fonts and rendering systems probably aren't ready for this kind of
    combination yet.

    > > U+0251 U+0361 U+0302 U+028A as given by BabelMap+Code2000 (see
    > > attached) is not productively different from U+0251
    > > U+0302 U+0361 U+028A (see attached)...

    Following the "inside-out" rule, the first sequence should render
    correctly, the second sequence should not.

    As for the combination which uses a combining mark below, that mark
    below is either going to apply to a previous mark below, or it is
    going to apply to the previously entered base letter. A mark below
    probably can't be configured to apply to a mark above.

    So, if we have a combining mark below which is to apply to a span
    of two base characters, then we need to have this combining mark added
    to the standard as a double-wide combining mark below, as far as I
    can tell.

    Best regards,

    James Kass

    attached mail follows: