Re: Rendering of sequences containing double diacritic (was Re: Bantu click letters)

From: James Kass (jameskass@att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 11:12:08 CDT

    > The "inside-out" rule is explained and illustrated on page 125 (TUS 4.0).
    >
    > An "a" followed by combining umlaut followed by combining macron
    > is not the same as "a" plus combining macron plus combining umlaut.

    Hmmm. Further on the inside-out rule. Note the following pairs, which
    are supposed to be in UTF-8:

    ā̈ ǟ
    ṻ ǖ

    The first "a" with combiners isn't displaying correctly here, it should
    have the diaeresis above the macron, just like the first "u". I attach
    a GIF showing the display using Doulos SIL/BabelPad.

    But, this isn't a font problem as this repros with at least one other
    font. Therefore, I think it's a bug in the rendering engine. It looks
    like the rendering engine is doing an unwanted reordering for the
    first "a" sequence.

    Best regards,

    James Kass

    macrdiar.gif