Re: Latin long vowels

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 10:04:54 CDT

    oeaiu

    Joe Speroni wrote:

    > I apologize for a simple question, but after a few hours of "research"
    > I don't seem to be able to find the characters needed. I'm trying to
    > scan a Latin text that uses a bar over the vowels to indicate long
    > sounds. Do these characters exist in Unicode?
    >
    > ōēāīū

    U+014D LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH MACRON
    U+0113 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH MACRON
    U+0101 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH MACRON
    U+012B LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH MACRON
    U+016B LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON

    Subtract 1 from each of these Unicode values to get the uppercase
    equivalent.

    > If so, would anyone know from where a Windows XP font containing these
    > five characters could be download?

    They're all included in Windows Glyph List 4, so most fonts should have
    them if they cover anything beyond Code Page 1252.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/