RE: Latin long vowels

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 10:20:19 CDT

    Joe Speroni wrote:
    > I apologize for a simple question, but after a few hours of
    > "research" I don't seem to be able to find the characters needed.

    Funny: I see them in my Windows Character Map utility at the first hit on
    Page Down key...

    > I'm trying to scan a Latin text that uses a bar over the vowels
    > to indicate long sounds. Do these characters exist in Unicode?

    Uppercase: 0100, 0112, 012A, 014C, 016A (decimal: 256, 274, 298, 332, 362)
    Lowercase: 0101, 0113, 012B, 014D, 016B (decimal: 257, 275, 299, 333, 363)

    You can also compose them with the normal letter followed by character
    MODIFIER LETTER MACRON (code 02C9, decimal 713).

    > If so, would anyone know from where a Windows XP font
    > containing these five characters could be download?

    Several fonts which come pre-installed in Windows NT, 2000 or XP have those
    characters, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman and Courier.

    > Aloha,

    "Aloha"?

    Is it for Hawaiian that you need the macrons? In that case also notice that,
    afaik, the proper character for the glottal stop letter (aka "apostrophe" or
    "okina") is MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (code 02BB, decimal 699).

    _ Marco