RE: Latin Characters

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 11:28:19 CDT

    Philippe wrote:

    <quote>

    In Windows standard keyboard drivers, there's no integrated support to enter Unicode codepoints transparently in all applications.

    I wonder if there exists a keyboard driver that would support ALT+NumPadPlus followed by 1 to 4 hex digits to enter at least UTF-16 code points (possibly extended to enter 5 or 6 hex digits for easy access to supplementary planes, by splitting internally the supplementary code point into surrogates when feeding applications which will only treat surrogates).

    </quote>

    The "Chinese (Taiwan) - Chinese Traditional Unicode" keyboard allows you to type UTF-16 hex sequences into ANY Windows application transparently. It's available on Windows 2000 and later. Supplemental characters have to be entered as surrogate pairs, of course. It's easy to install from the Regional Options control panel. You can find instructions in my little document "Learn to Type Japanese and Other Languages" here:

    http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/LearnToType.pdf (Acrobat PDF format)

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    http://www.webMethods.com
    Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
    http://www.w3.org/International

    It is not a feature.