Re: lines 05-08, version 4.7 of Roadmap to BMP and 'Hebrew extensions'

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 15:45:01 CDT

    Elaine,

    > Copying part of Rick's answer back to list, didn't
    > seem private.

    Yes, it was indeed CCed to the list. This is also CCed to the list.

    > How many code points are there in the Roadmap's line
    > 08?---I still don't understand hex well enough to
    > compute....

    You need to look at Unicode 4.0 as well. There are 30 codepoints not
    encoded within the Hebrew block on "05" of the Roadmap. Nothing *else* is
    currently proposed for allocation to Hebrew. If a proposal is received and
    accepted, then we would look at where to allocate things. That might mean
    opening a section in "08".

    > Hebrew script, even without any 'artificial'
    > disunification, still could potentially fill 3-4x as
    > many code points as it currently has.....

    No problem. We have 16 other planes in which to put things, and Hebrew may
    spill over. There would naturally be much consideration to putting things
    on the BMP for scripts that are already allocated to the BMP, such as
    Hebrew, but space is filling up quickly.

    > I actually wasn't sure about Avestan's directionality.

    Right to left.

    > ....I mistakenly thought Tifinagh was rtl.

    That's OK. It has been, and sometimes still is, written right to left,
    hence it was roadmapped in a right-to-left allocation block. However, in
    modern usage, and in the Moroccan national standard now being drafted, it
    is specifically left to right. That is how it will be encoded. Hence it was
    moved away from the block of right to left scripts.

    > I do actually have two brief suggestions that are
    > important to Semitists, for the BMP and the SMP...

    Submit your doc whenever you are ready.

    > I wrote the preliminary Babylonian and Samaritan
    > proposals in May.

    UTC saw them. As usually happens with documents that are submitted in
    preliminary fashion, people were informed of the docs, and that you are
    receiving comments. UTC will be awaiting your updated proposals for the
    August meeting, or whenever they are ready. (This is a non-official
    response. With preliminary docs, UTC doesn't usually respond officially or
    take any recorded action.)

            Rick